Modern technology has lot of good with a shadow of bad. I read Impact of start-ups and the importance of their socio-economic contributions and started observe how start-ups influence human behavior. I hear positive impact stories as part of marketing of these start-ups. Are there no pitfalls? We are more aware of safety mishap for a women in Uber and government decision to ban as knee-jerk reaction.
Earlier using public transport in Bangalore, I observe many employees go to office in their cars and these cars have 1 or 2 passengers and the road is filled with one-car passengers. when we calculate the amount of fuel consumed, there seems to be option to conserve fuel if the employees carpool or use public transport.
Today I observe more cars of app based taxi providers going single(driver to pick a passenger) or double (passenger and driver). Customers download the taxi provider app to their smartphone, customers can use the app to “e-hail” the vehicles, pay for the trip, and even rate the driver. Driver owns the cars and connect with passenger using app based taxi providers.
App based providers claim “green” credentials by matching people’s common interests and common destinations, reducing the negative environmental impacts of driving.
- TaxiForSure has launched an experimental car-pooling service.
- Going My Way? Uber Unveils Carpooling As Its Assault On Ownership Continues
- Uber announces UberPool – share rides with strangers
- Would you ditch your car for Uber.
Can we safely assume ” App based transport providers enables carpooling and in some year, people need not own a car.” to be real? Will app based transport providers operate similar to taxis or similar toa casual carpool using personal vehicle? Let us examine.
- You have a driver who needs money. You have a passenger who needs a ride. Do they connect and engage based on common interests? In practical world, the common interests might not be relevant. Instead, drivers transport passengers entirely at the convenience of the passenger. Passengers consider convenience as top priority and quote reasons for not sharing like safety, status, need for privacy etc.
- When passengers demand for cars, more drivers hang and cruise in metropolitan areas to pick up passengers as soon as the passengers hail them online, leading to more consumption of Oil. The app-based transport provider has significantly lower entry cost barrier compared to traditional taxi services, causing increase in the number of cars on the road available for hire, leading to more consumption of Oil.
- There is traffic and air pollution in India. Will we see a significant drop in the automobile emissions? Should the government subsidize the cost of Oil ? Instead the government should strive to align app based transport providers with desired society goals to reduce transportation emissions and this can be achieved with a mandatory use of only “clean” vehicles (hybrids or compressed natural gas vehicles).
I do not visualize that app based transport providers working like casual carpool using personal vehicle and view them operating much like taxis. Ealier, I have observed in corporate that drivers and transport supervisor get in to agreement and allot 2 vehicles to perform late drop of employees living in same area.
For a growing economy such as ours, demand for fuel and energy also increased. India’s consumption of petroleum products from 1951 to 2014 has increased consistently every decade. Assume Modi government delivers reforms agenda, we would see ramp up in growth and infrastructural development, leading to a sustained demand for more fuel and energy.
Right now, India imports around 70% of the fuel that it consumes. Import of oils impacts the trade balance of the country and the way the exchange rate pans out and makes India vulnerable to how the international crude prices behave. The longer-term solution is to make India self-sufficient in energy.
Some app-based transport provider offer luxury vehicles for transportation. These vehicles consume more fuel than hybrid cars. Today few people can afford to purchase these luxury vehicles at higher cost and hence conservation of oil. When luxury vehicles are available for quick hire, more oil gets consumed and creates a hit on the drivers, who appreciate fuel savings and quieter rides. Will app-based transport providers help India become energy self-sufficient?
Is there possibility that price of oil goes down?. What will it look like? When oil becomes cheap, countries are going to get killed.
The oil price at US$ 83 per barrel is woefully inadequate for all the major oil-exporting countries to balance their budgets. For example, Iran needs a price of at least US$ 135 per barrel to come anywhere close to balancing its annual fiscal budget. Even for Saudi Arabia, it would be nice if the prices to go up by 14% for its budget to balance. Hence, these countries facing a budget shortfall at current prices are working already to take the oil prices higher from here on. Will business that depends on oil prices stand relatively resilient to movement in oil prices?
How safe are the drivers interest in the ecosystem of app based providers? App bases transport provider enables drivers to provide discounts to passenger and increase the demand for cars in large. Here are articles about drivers being affected. Similar to fire cracker owners claims in media about family losing livelihood, when the children have been taken off from bondage labor of the fire cracker industry in Sivakasi.
- How the ban hurts Uber drivers who earned at least Rs 45,000/month
- Uber offers to compensate drivers for loss of pay
- Uber case: Changes in law to accomodate online taxi services as it employs thousands
In addition these drivers have been caught in EMI trap to pay for their car purchase. Now assume that cost of gas/ petrol increases astronomical again. This would lead to increase in rice and reduce the demand for cars on hire. Reduction in demand increases pressure on drivers to pay EMIs on their car purchase. if the leasing company takes away the car, there is impact on the livelihood of drivers. How many of the drivers would continue as entrepreneurs
In long term, I see potential of app-based transportation services to improve goals to reduce transportation emissions and reduce oil consumption. In short term, I see oversupply of app-based vehicles (driven by easy available loans) on the road, in addition to traditional limos.
It has been concern and worry to read about abuse/harassment of women on car in Delhi 2 days back.(came back to Facebook after being in deactivated state for 2 months). A female friend, women had put objective question, rather than emotional one.
I decide that I would share others actions and my own actions that make me aware how I can act sensitive towards women needs. I call each of you to identify small areas within your influence circles to take a positive action leading to make them and their staff(employed or vendor) sensitive in the approach towards women.
Sharing some small areas I have experienced in my life.( Calling others to share to create commitment).
Single women travelling in odd hours, midnight or silent hours.
- When I see young female software engineers climbing in to call center taxis on Outer ring road, I ask them not to do so and go home safe.
- When they have no transport offered, I have picked my sister from her office at midnight from here start-up(today leading analytics company) and dropped my wife to call center job at midnight in her 2 months experiment and send-off female cousin who leaves for flight at 3 pm.
when I was young, my manager used to book company car and ensure that our female technical lead reaches home safe. In my earlier start-ups, my boss had car driver on employee payrolls to ensure safety and made sure girls going late are dropped home.( we were small start-up). we adhered to same behaviour in our current start-up when women need to go late home.
The female software engineers give a look of “Do not interfere with me. I can take care.” and trust their devices more than another human being.Now-a-days, I take father mindset when women push me back on concerns about their safety.
Pregnancy in Profession( all industries)
Managers shoo away from hiring a female candidate who is pregnant. Reason is these candidates go on long maternity leave and it affects project rhythm. They might come back after leave or not. When they come back, it is not easy to place them back to with their old position already filled(for start-ups).
In my earlier start-ups, I has opportunity to hire a female candidate who was competent and when briefed of the efforts by colleague, I acknowledged taking decision with understanding that she is pregnant and would go on long leave in 6 months and might not come back. My previous boss supported me as the right thing to do.
In current start-up, we hired young female engineer who worked for a year and got married and became pregnant. We paid her maternity leave and she came back to work. The baby needed some special health attention and she left. After paying salary for absence being start-up, we took big brother mindset to let her go happily with a farewell party.( there is money pinch for sure for small start-up).
Completing blog acknowledging that I am male and biased by my past experiences of how women are treated in society. If man is over-protective, women would ask him not to be over concerned and claim to take care of themselves. If there is no safety due to some other men, you do not feel good. Let us be aware of responsibility of men to society where women get access to both freedom and safety and not one, similar to men.
Joined IT professionals in a non-profit finishing school to improve employability of students for IT sector. Started volunteering to help them follow software development practices and conduct classes for android development. Welcome to contribute and get benefited.
In my skill development start-up, I experienced first hand the plight of college students looking for entry level jobs in Finance & Accounting. With academic learning in F &A in college days and no practical experience, my involvement helped me to learn nuances of skills development across students and the need to bridge the gap between academia and corporate requirements. On evangelizing our course talking of placement assistance, students asked me whether the course leads to guarantee employment.
During my journeys for skill development, I was influenced by my experience in IT towards the plight of freshers in Computer Software industry. They too have employ-ability problems. All colleges do not have college placement and all students do not get placed in college placements. Left out graduates comes to Bangalore in search for jobs. When graduate spends a year and have not got a job, some of them get jittery and scared and also fear loan repayment kicking after first year of graduation. Ask a student from rural engineering college to learn more.
Lucky with campus job in 1998, I have seen my friends struggle. I am sharing 2 real instances seen in last 8 years of my career.
I was in my first start-up, located at Koramangala. We were on Sunday morning to complete project deliverable. There was noise at entrance and found a crowd standing around. when asked for reason, they seem to have come for interview. I called HR manager and found there was no planned walk-in interview. I explained that the walk-in-interview was not there and apologized for confusion. I accepted resume from each one and send across to HR. I forgot to follow up on collected resumes.
In my technology start-up, I see engineering graduates coming to our office door in search of job openings. We are LAMP company and graduates worked only in Windows makes it tricky to explore internship vs loss of bandwidth. I am reminded of the movie Varumayin Niram Sivappu and having heard my father’s story of challenges to get stable jobs in early 1960s. What can I do to help youngsters?
@MobiSir, one day I was travelling in bus on Outer Ring Road, I saw a crowd of youngsters on road and some of them boarded the public bus. I asked them for reason for the crowd. They shared of getting email thread that company was doing interview walk-in and decided to come not wanting to lose chance and same is with others also. Seems that security informed that no selection happens that day. The student expressed their wish that someone accepts resume will make them feel good. They asked whether I can help.
Two guys left and one continued to be in dialog with me. On general inquiry, I learned that he is exposed to programming from high school and knows Unix and C language. Getting interested, I asked whether he has a laptop to learn and demonstrate that he can do assignments and we might be able to hire him as intern. He opened his bag to show me a Apple laptop.
Me : “Are You comfortable with this?”
Student : “I have used this machine for last 4 years.
Me : ” Are you aware of programming mobile apps for iPhone”
Student : “I am not aware and can you help me learn iPhone development?”
Me : Come to my office and would share video tutorials that I have in my laptop.
He visited my office to collect videos. I gave him video tutorials and small assignment problem to complete to know for himself when he has learnt. I spend 30 minutes sharing areas to learn in mobile development to earn a job and asked him to meet after 4 weeks. I received the first email stating “Hello World” program worked. After 4 weeks, this guy calls me and could not take the call. I called next day and the call gets dropped. He calls again to share that he has got a job with Large Service company(Big Five)for iOS mobile app development and location is in Delhi and wanted to meet me before leaving on trip. I realized to have forgotten his name and decided to hold on to happy and satisfied experience.
The student might not money from you and might nor want you to spoon feed support to learn new area. The student needs support to identify the road to take to learn that leads him to bag a job and exposure to people working in IT industry to see and learn. Effectively the student needs someone’s time to guide him to develop confidence and enable him to stands on his own legs. Are you ready to give your time to volunteer and get benefit of satisfaction?
Everything in technology is changing faster than ever. Change is also in how we work with fellow developers, how we interact with our customers, and how we code. Don’t get caught asleep at the console. It will not be easier for developer to experiment things outside code and needs extra effort to come back to code.
Let me start with a brief. I started code with windows at school, moved to write code with command prompt in Unix during my master thesis. In first 12 years, I developed multi-layer, system, desktop, SaaS and web applications and the emphasis on user interface was less. In my start-up it development was in web(cloud) and mobile applications (hybrid and native) and was back at command prompt and involved getting hands dirty with user interface for website and user interface for web and mobile. In last 15 months, I explored business side of my start-up involved in product evangelism & customer facing and continue to be in touch with user interface.
- Continuous integration was niche in 2005 and has been norm today. I used to be involved with build script and make files, resolve parallels across version and run/follow based on daily builds(twice) on staging server. Today there are a array of deployment tools and staging server has migrated to cloud. A manager need not run behind infrastructure team to build a new server for urgent new project, developer will get it from cloud.
- Very little programming begins from scratch these days. I come from schooll where I started learning COM code and first windows code starting with void Main(). Today frameworks seem to rule ; the coding begins with Ext JS, ExpressJS, or some other collection of code that serves as a foundation. No tutorial starts with the basics.
- I used to build HTML pages in notepad for my first blog. You do not start website any-more, you create account on someone’s website, buy template and customize template and put content. In addition, integration with social networks is needed to lure people to visit the website.
- Writing COM and WCF interfaces was a lot of work with interface language. Today Interfaces have got a fancier name : an API. They are on a completely different machine and may be run by a completely different company that is charging us for every call.
- Knowledge of the library is as important as knowing the ins and outs of the language itself.
- If it runs on our test machine, it will almost certainly run on the server. This is becoming more common with advent of VMs.
For me biggest change, it the way to monitor performance. Once you printed time when the code began and when it ended and added subtraction for you. Now many of the problems don’t occur on one machine. A profiler to your code would not reveal the real bottleneck caused by weird interconnection or a sluggish database. To understand what is going right and going wrong, you need to track the network calls for the network of software and performance of individual modules.
What I have learnt in cloud applications has changed. What was difficult to achieve like security integration with enterprise has been simplified and developers are more use to nuances of cloud. Mobile application that does not need offline capability can be performed using HTML 5 and become cross platform compatible.
I have not been caught asleep at console. I have been away from console. There has been a change for sure in my absence at console and things have moved on. Let me ascertain the change at console and find reason fot the change to appreciate the change.
At the same time, I am worried how the excess dependency on tools and frameworks would impact basic concepts of students coming from college. My advise to them is to embrace libraries and frameworks. They need to move away from tools to use them and rather write program using simple editors like notepad or vi editor at command prompt. To learn basic, they need to take efforts by self initiative to setup single -instance application environment on their computers. Once they are strong in basics, they can move to tools. May be I would write basics as blog as part of my journey learning change.
E-commerce and e-banking are sexy topic to customers based on convenience and discounts. I wonder why and how most well-meaning companies that are so dynamic and friendly in marketing and selling, seem to be dumb and look out of sorts, and inept, about customer service quality.
Today morning I observed that my wife was talking to Flipkart.com customer agent that she received message that her order has been cancelled as she was not at home. She has made Cash on Delivery(CoD) order. The customer agent talks that they could not reach her and she responds that she is teacher and cannot take calls when she is at school. I am sure something is getting resolved. Based on my wife experience and Pathetic Customer Experience , I have question whether companies decided to assume ” if customer does not pick call on mobile, we assume that he is not available”.
Today customers are made to feel pampered and are made to feel they never had it this good by marketing campaigns and TV ads. This leads to thinking in Indian customers that they are the nawabs and rajas on whom companies shower all kinds of goodies. Alas! that is until the sale happens. Ask the same customer for delivery, the story is different. Ask the same customers six months later the story is usually different. Indian customers are made to slowly accept to fact similar to corruption that all post sales customer service is not good as pre sales service.
Most Indian companies declare high degree of customer focus as their priority. To what extent does this priority translate into delivery of customer quality? There are Indian companies that are customer obsessed and still fall short of their promise. For most others it still is simply a marketing slogan. ‘customer is king’ ‘customer is God’ are freely used but not meant.
What is high priority for organization? Urgency to make sale to customer? What is important to customer?
- Marketing and sales teams work independently from the customer service support team. Organization fail to structure to enable feedback loop between the teams and they realize that the promise does not match with reality and the need to collaborate with each other and that is not there. Marketing teams are small and highly qualified persons while customer service team are large and average persons.
- The thought patterns of the employees of other departments do not match with the emotions displayed in marketing and selling department. For example, organization promise excellent customer service but more obsessive to cut costs to serve customer, promise work –life balance, but expect employees to stretch. Employees lose productivity when they are subject to contradictory orders.
- Functional separation of CRM and customer support desk . From customer perspective, CRM handles all communication and service related to customer. In reality, CRM enables managing the sales and marketing processes to manage customer at pre-sale stage. The customer service/support desk( separate from CRM) is used by customer service to manage customer post-sale stage. Does split in technology and people impact customer service? In some companies, the support desk is outsourced completely.
Some people think that shaming on social media will change customer service. Please see truth on the ground. The focus becomes not to resolve the actual issue for specific person and goes to make sure that you do not go berserk on social media creating bad publicity. Does something really concrete happens to customer service as whole? May we should consider social media as information transmission channels and not customer channels. We need to change in communication approach to one that serves the purpose it is intended to serve.
Another is customer feedback. Do companies make effort to inform customers action taken based on their feedback? I know that e-commerce companies show scores for customer and supplier. Do companies have courage to disclose the cumulative scores they receive from the feedback? Cumulative score for e-commerce or virtual taxi companies?
Here is another article Some People Hate Self-Checkout that adds a different perspective to pre-sale stage.
When a bank uses third party vendor for processing and also third party courier for delivery, who is responsible to meet SLAs promised by bank to the customer? It seems the banks are not worried whether technology process service the customer. When they do not get service, the customer needs to spend 45 minutes to get on-line request to be delivered adhering to Bank’s own SLA.
Last week, a calling agent called me from a Chennai company and shared “Your cheque book package has been returned to us saying that door locked”. I said to the agent we were in town and both me and my wife work and we might have to go outside house that the house is locked. We live in apartment and the security did not share a message that some one came with a package.(good security, given a note they pass to residents for sure). I checked my mobile and noticed SMS from a courier company asking me to pick delivery time XXX to YYY or ZZZ to AAA pm on specific day. As both time options falls in the middle of both of our working hours, I skipped to respond and hence the package has been returned.
- How many times did the courier agent try to deliver package? Post man and agents paste a sheet that courier has come or drop this to security and there has been none.
- Why was package not send by Indian post to address, which is my communication preference? This issues has been faced earlier.
The calling agent failed to acknowledge the problem. I added that SLA time duration to deliver cheque book is not met. The calling agent said that here job was to inform me and she can raise a new request to send the same back and she has no influence over the courier. When enquired aboyt her access to my personal details, she reported that they received based on contract and the access to her. 15 minute over.
Next I called bank. It took 3 minutes to reach to representative. Followed with demand of adhering to delivery time for cheque book within stipulated time as per SLA. Demanded that proof shown for reminders given to me and how many were presented to me? Honest guy accepts he does not have that and asks me whether you answered the call or seen SMS from courier. when explained, he acknowledges that that is reason for non-delivery and seems I made mistake and hence I have not received cheque book. He asked me details to order cheque book again as the previous one has returned . I refused to provide details as he also knows that the previous request has not been full-filled. He defended approach by courier (which is not my preference) representing safety of my stuff. When questioned what is safety that my personal details are in hands of Chennai company, he defended they have agreement, based on which my data was provided. At end of long call he accepted that the courier guy has not delivered and would make sure that courier agency calls me and deliver the same. 30 minutes over.
Later the courier guy called and received the cheque books.
- Feel guilty “why I am making things difficult?”
learning or exploring opportunity to learn more about myself.
With new awareness, I connect dots in my past and could see learnings that has prepared me for next level. This make me feel good. Why I am not stopping and realize the value of learning and apply to my life?
We make choices and need to live with the choices we made. Some of them might make us not comfortable. You need to be aware of the past to make new choices to enable transition. Feeling guilty over old choice leads to labelling and does not allow to let go. I have been helped by my friends support in these transitions to realize there is nothing to do about past choices. Instead we need to learn from experience due to past choices and Let Go and be present with open mind to make new choices and being aware of one self.
- My father made me work on house financial portfolio and I cannot spend money for any luxury things. He taught me value of money .
- My father never allowed me to dropped to school in his work vehicle though company driver offered me to drop and come.He taught me value of ethics and fight against misuse leading to corruption.
- Decided to join selected engineering colleges on merit and If not, join arts college. I know value of earning money that I could refuse when my father offered to pay capitation for engineering).
- I decided not to pay capitation for MCA and started Mathematics. I know value of money and helped me learn more about myself when I learnt the course has no campus placement currently and I need to create placement collateral with my senior and knock company doors.
- 10 company tests cleared and cannot sit for interview due to course ineligibility. I learn the patience and resilience to reach goal of getting campus job at 15th time.
- All company projects was under Y2k transition. That was an opportunity to know learning is important to me as I learnt using machines available in night about COM, CORBA and deliver training in other centre.
- The company had bond of 1 lakh and no real work. Whatever happens, your commitment needs to be kept and you work on win-win always.
- Your product division and business application division company lost organization focus with merger of the organization. Good learning that it is time to let go system driven applications and move to customer driven application. You also learn how people influence organization style in merger times when same organization stood for best treatment for employees in IT industry.
- Joined a OPD start-up instead of MNC which provides free lunch and cafteria. You learnt to influence and arranged caterer in cafeteria to serve snacks in-house.
- OPD start-up was bought by a company that understood revenue and not our culture. You learn how that in tricky situations where it is not right for you, you need to do right things to complete what is right for your team and your customer. You then decide to move to a start-up and this is learning of how you need to treat people/employees and what they feel when you do not value them.
The book is dedicated as “Dedicated to honest and upright government officials in all emerging markets for the courage they show every day” and was pulling my attention. Thanks to my friend Shradha for introducing me to book. Awesome read. Recommend to everyone working in indian IT industry( service company and also MNC).
There is good review of the book by Kajari Mukherjee in PDF format. This blog is my acknowledgement to Ravi Venkatesan that his book provides a good perspective about state of affairs from a very balanced position. Going forward, I would not ask some questions on corporate practises as I have answers acceptable to me and focus to develop courage to take action wherever possible,
Being who I am, I was able to connect with the following.
- “Their choice is between spending countless hours defending themselves or paying one or more tax to individuals so that they can focus on business.”
- Lawmakers struggle to find the middle ground between industrial development and defending the rights of small landowners.
- Adversity breeds innovation and new capabilities. it is precisely because India is a difficult environment that it is important to learn to succeed here.
- You need to have an end-to-end view of the business and think not just about sales.
- Put their careers on the line and do what is right. How do you look for evidence of courage? The absence of passion and drive is a dampener, but the drive for results by itself is not enough. It is an extraordinary test of who you are as a person and as a leader.
- Learning agility is a capability that can eb strengthened by experience, by repeatedly throwing young leaders into ever more complex and difficult challenges.
Being in start-up, I was able to connect with following
- The bottom of the pyramid represents an opportunity to earn trust and goodwill through social responsibility and shared value initiatives.
- It is easier to skim the top of the Indian market than to figure out how to crack the challenging middle market. To continue to grow requires the courage and commitment to move down and compete in the larger middle of the market.
- People working in emerging markets need to have an explore and learn approach. They have to be profitable but not every month.They can spend money, adjust and fine-tune their business model and then make money.
- Taking a bet on someone and thrusting her in to a larger role is a proven process and the only one that I know works.
- Middle market customers have limited disposable incomes but big aspirations; they will not accept products that compromise quality or functionality.
- You cannot understand he life of a fish unless you dive in to the water.
- Most people do not achieve much when you give them a slightly higher target; they operate out of a fear of failure.
- It is possible to build a brand without a huge budget.
- Western Executives are often transactional; they focus on the issues and numbers, but fail to develop relationships. Managers invariably try to optimize their company interests as they believe that is what they are paid for. It is tough to engage with key stakeholders in ways that do not come as pure self-interest.
- M & A always require support from the top. If the senior management does not support the M&A strategy, the deal will fail.
Exploring data analytics, I liked this sentence “A fundamental problem about the world is that data is only available about the past. if you wait, until the data is clear, you are going to be taking action when the game is over.”
Let me complete blog with book sentence ” The more difficult the market us, the more money we make, because others struggle more, or not even enter.”
This is continuation of article “Kid Safety 1: CCTV,Background checks.“, Kid Safety -2 : School and Parents. Where to use technology? and Kid Safety 3 : Media, Internet. Being techie, I propose that we leverage technology to solve actual problem in education at the ground, rather than the superficial administration and productivity problems.
We leverage technology to track schools and create awareness campaigns. Here is suggestion to start with.
- Ask all schools to submit scanned copies certifying that awareness classes are completed to education department website. The submissions would be visible to public. Any untoward incident at school would get recorded in the website.
- Schools can choose to display occurrence of classes with date and time on the school website. Parents need to look at this website and decide during the admission process in school with awareness of the school attitude towards safety.
- Education department monitors the occurrence of these classes and also make sure that untoward incidents are available in the education department website. More untoward incidents might lead to revoke license of school or when school does not conduct these classes.
We leverage technology to provide safety to children against porn.
There should be a community portal to capture the websites related to porn. People can submit website to marked as being porn site. The website would be reviewed and marked as blocked. The idea is to capture these sites dangerous to children. All the sites blocked would be transparent to public. what next?
Ask internet service providers to start offering 2 type of connections. a child connection (porn free) and unrestricted connection ( no restriction). This gives the choice to consumer to choose the connection to be subscribed. By default, customers are signed for child connection and the customer needs to explicitly ask for unrestricted connection. The consumer is responsible to choose connection type. One can have unrestricted connection on mobile and child connection at home.
All our internet service providers have completed KYC for their customers. They can communicate to customer that starting on a particular day all connections would be child connection and customers need to SMS to activate unrestricted connection and then they also get access to porn. The unrestricted connection can come with premium cost over child connection.
Let me end with question for start-ups in education space. Why there is focus in the area of Sex education for children? Is this not a problem to be handled? May be an opportunity for education start-ups to join together and evangelize as group on the issues and educated their stakeholders at school. This would part of their marketing activity. Being a global problem, this can help to create awareness in other countries also.
This is continuation of article “Kid Safety 1: CCTV,Background checks.“ and Kid Safety -2 : School and Parents. Main stream media reports the harassment to kids as news and does not take up any investigative journalism. They keep going about reporting these unfortunate incidents. Once the next incident happen, the media forgets the previous incident and moves forward. I am happy to see media like Citizen matters are creating awareness in smaller way possible around concerned parents. I am concerned that we have no insights to what has happened to child who suffered in July and to her parents? Are there child able to continue go to school? How is school treating them? Are they getting empathy in their difficult situation and not sympathy?
I observe here that agencies generating ranks for schools are not looking to children safety issues and child harassment. Here are some of Rank 1,Rank 2, indiaranker, Day School ranking 2013 and it is surprising and quite strange that they have no parameters towards child safety in school , sex education and transport system of the schools. Did they decide not to cover these issues?
Schools ask children to use computers. Assignments are send on computer and my daughter checks them on laptop. Do teachers are aware of the presence of large danger called porn through computer? Do Women Watch Porn? Nation Wants to Know provides the extent porn is spread in India. I want to start that I have seen porn in some format(not internet) when I was at final school, going to theatre, considering myself as rebel/hero and the urge to perform things that society does not agree to be done by children in school.
Porn is largest content consumed over internet and has impact on individual mental growth. How Much of the Internet is actually for Porn and The Ultimate Breakdown of How People Watch Porn Online and The Internet’s Dirty Secret: Nobody Knows How Much Porn There Is explains that porn is everywhere and it was alarming to see the article India among the top countries in viewing porn materials.
Today child with access to mobile or computer and career focused parents might end up watching porn and the parents would never become aware of the same. The parent would be under assumption that child is studying for school projects, while child actually watching porn. How will children behaviour get affected when they view porn?
Today what is role taken by school, government and ISP who want to enter education and leverage children’s need to identify new sources of investment. There is nothing wrong technology can enable education. Are they aware of the harmful effects of technology to handle the same? What are the steps taken in this direction?
Porn seen by a child today might have impact for a long time. It destroys the youth with addictive practises and pollutes their mind to cause harm during sex. I am not asking to block porn. Where are the awareness campaigns for children and parents? Who would own process to create and run these awareness campaigns?“.
Schools have started to conduct “Good Touch, Bad Touch” classes. Should the government not make these classes mandatory? It should be delivered by human being. There needs to be awareness sessions on sex education and sex harassment to teachers parents. These classes should happen once in a year and the attendance should become mandatory for parents an teachers. May be government could create some awareness videos with help of doctors and clinicians. These videos can be used by facilitator to evangelize more in local neighbourhoods.