– First few years of job are critical (One has got to learn.)
Learning by doing
Learning by observation
Learning by reading
Learning by networking
Learning to learn
-It is time to break the stereo types.
Mr. Bagchi talked about a Bell Lab model.I googled and got
The focus of an individual should be on.:
2) Self Management
6) Show and tell
7) Organization Savvy
8) Self Management
9) Team Work
Mindset usually found in this phase (something on which we need to work upon):
-Putting money above all else
-Obsession with "batchmates" syndrome.
-stereotyping "technically challenging work"
-Poor focus on written and communication skills
-Poor understanding of ruse
-Inadequate attention to health.
-Slow understanding to work life
-Poor understanding of work ethics.
PHASE II- Next 3-5 years
The IT individual should concentrate on building
a) Customer Knowledge
b) Process Knowledge
c) Business Knowledge
d) Knowledge Management
Key organization expectation: Footprint.
The organization would like to see how much potential you have.
PHASE III:Next 5-10 years
– Time to reasses the initial SWOT analysis
– Time for peer feedback on "Who I am"
– Time to creatively destroy the comfort zone – Explore new geography,domain,role,
New Learning must be the driver
-Time to create a serious passion outside of work,socialize career ambition
-Time to seek a mentor.
PHASE IV :Beyond 10 years
– One should be good at
a) Managing resources
b) Managing Technology
c) Managing Complexity
d) Rain Making ( generating more biz)
He then went on to talk about customers feedback on Indian IT professionals.
Here are a few.
The young IT individual:
– Do not understand business
– Do not communicate well (written and oral)
– Are not stable (higher studies,work, technology etc)
– Expensive and likely to "outpay" themselves.