I read an article in Dr Dobbs how to go about writing a unit client to test web services and i agree with the essence of the same.
- create a test for each new service behavior
- the tests should also validate error-handling characteristics
- validate behaviors that are difficult to test manually, for example service connection timeout can be tested with sleep for timeout interval
- create multiple client connections side by side working with the web service from same thread
- calling web service methods asynchronously, may be even from multiple threads
- measure performance of web service method calls
- stress test; for example keep sending large amount of data