To understand Bigger = Better let us look at history.Once upon a time Intel used to come with higher processors and then Microsoft used to come with high RAM demanding software that the processing power. No one asked whether it was really needed to get devices with higher power and whether their activities demanded a higher power? Intel and Microsoft have done wonderful marketing and made customer believe Bigger = Better. The laptop battery come for 6 hours in a single charge and needs to be replaced after 2 years. Was focus innovation in processor speed also aimed at innovation in battery backup? . They did not enjoy this for a long. A cool person came and brought the computer features on to mobile. Today both Intel and Microsoft are trying to play hide and seek with the mobile revolution.
My first digital camera bought in 2003 and it was a good clarity of picture. When I bought another digital camera in 2010, the cameras were available with 10 MP or more. I have not been able to distinguish with human eye the difference in pictures between both the cameras. Now I see the mega-pixel trend has been taken over in mobile. Mobile phones distinguish from each other based on camera capability in terms of mega-pixels and video recording. The device manufacturer have made customer believe Bigger = Better and made us believe the same. How many mega-pixels do you need in your camera? For most purposes 3MP is plenty and for very minute details one can go to 8MP. What is impact of higher mega-pixel camera?
- Higher resolution takes longer to process and consumes more storage space.
- No one talks of the sharpness of the lens. In the current resolutions offered by smartphones, there is no sharp focus maintained throughout the frame, pretty sharp in the centre, and fall off towards the edges. We do not realize this as the main subject is usually somewhere near the centre.
The mobile battery gets charged for a day and mobile goes away in 2 years, Why are mobile companies not competing in increasing the mobile batter capacity to stand for longer hours? Should they share some of the effort spend to increase camera mega-pixel in increasing battery power.?
Looking at the origin of internet,we started with ether-net, followed by GPS and matured to GPRS and have arrived at 3G. Today all mobiles are mostly 3G compatible. I already hear talk of 4G. 4G is supposed to provide lightning-quick internet connection for mobile devices to transfer large data [enable to download and stream content(music and videos)] easily while on the go. Is this one more case of Bigger = Better ? Have we explored other possibilities?
One possibility is emergence of USSD platform,similar to SMS it provides navigation through a textual, session-based interface, and works across all types of mobiles. U2opia Mobile had leveraged this and made Facebook and twitter accessible to people without Internet. USSD only supports text messages. USSD is neither 3G or 4G and utilizes the existing capability of the mobile infrastructure. Do we need 4G because USSD cannot be used to transfer media files?
USSD has been made possible with support of mobile operator. A dream which can become true to distribute large content in India with support of mobile operator in India.There are more prepaid customers than postpaid customers. Most of the mobile internet enthusiast have postpaid connection and also use internet at higher side. 90% of India uses prepaid connection and USSD has brought these people to make use of Facebook and twitter. With prepaid customers, cellular providers can leverage their existing channel network to sell content in addition to prepaid SIM cards. A approach as simple as below can be explored.
- Provide every publisher with a key to encrypt content.
- Let publisher secure content and publish secured content in SD card medium that cannot be broken.
- Let the content SD cards be stocked with the channel partners. The channel partners are happy to sell more.
- End users can purchase SD card and the channel partner helps the end-user to get the SD card content activated for the specific mobile.
- Every time user makes use of content, like checking balance of prepaid card, check needs to be performed to check validity of the mobile number.