In Part -1 of this blog post we discussed what is critical skill for a job, what is skill gap, how managers perform skill gap analysis and arrive at the skill gap in the organization. Now comes the HR and Recruitment departments.
HR personnel applies skills gap analysis across a company and enables finding of skill and knowledge shortfalls in similar department. To maintain transparency in career growth offered to employees across all job profiles, HR comes with a skill matrix . The skill matrix lists down the skills needed by the organization today and also in the future. The human resource department plan organization wide training targeted on those necessary skills that require the most attention.
Employees start to consider the skill matrix as a guidance or reference to plan and take actions to develop needed critical skills to grow in their career. The skill matrix also starts serving as baseline to recruit when the current employee do not have the skills or interests.
The recruitment department starts to compare the skill matrix with skill level of students in colleges. They perform some tests and try to generalize the skill level and knowledge shortfalls among a specific college students. If they feel that the gap is larger and they need to invest time and effort to improve student to match to desired skill levels of the organization, the recruitment department decides not to even visit from the college campus for recruitment .
Irrespective of the domain, organizations follows a standard process to come with skill gap analysis. The organization needs a experienced HR manager, a domain manager and enabler teacher or trainer to arrive with recruitment test to filter students based on skill levels.
- The domain manager writes a set of skills that your employees must have in order to competently perform their tasks. This is what you expect from employees.
- The domain manager and trainer discuss the skills needed in the organization with a sample of colleges similar to ones where you plan to recruit fresh graduates. During the discussion with college, they understand what the course teaches and what part of the course is needed in the job and they start seeing skill gaps showing their ugly face.
- Both of them discuss and try to arrive at a training plan that can help to minimize the skill gap. It is entirely discretion of them to come with the training program that is expected to perform this.
- They go to few colleges and experiment with different set of students evaluation approach to identify the areas of skill gap. the students results are scored and the areas where many students are deficient is identified. These areas might qualify for your skill gaps. If only one or two testers perform poorly, it’s not a gap. If a large number of testers do poorly in a given area, you know there is a gap.
- Repeat this in a couple of colleges with diversified background makes them come with gap that is permissible for the college student and for one year experienced candidate.
- Now administer this test with every job candidate and then you can decide with amount of probability whether the student have an obvious gap in the knowledge needed to perform essential tasks in your organization.
ArthaKaushalya – Finance & Accounting Skills Assessment has been created by professionals who have years of expertise being experienced HR manger, domain manager and with the passion to enabler teacher or trainer. They are enabling the student to identify the gap ahead of time to go for a job. This equips the student to plan measures to fix any identified gaps.