Today there are lot of talent acquisition portals more suited to the needs of the company hiring. Some start-ups offer code assessments to candidates to help company to saves time to identify right candidates. Some start-ups make candidate to record answers online for pre-defined questions and help in decision to invite candidate for interview. Some start-ups measures the candidate’s interest and availability by collecting candidate information like notice period, other company offers and new salary amount,joining date for new offer and facilitate company to help staff to be more productive by allowing candidates who can join in company terms.
Most of them are a market place for companies to publish job position and look for qualified candidates and for candidate to publish resumes and look for a interested job. The recruitment experience is more similar to e-commerce purchase experience with difference that e-commerce portal shares price for all the products and job portal fails to display salary range for most of the job position. The recruitment process needs improvement and more maturity similar to process at e-retailer.
Like e-retailers are required to focus on collecting feedback about customer delivery effectiveness, with more faith on technology to create Wow, recruiters fail to collect candidates feedback with more faith on org leadership to create Wow factor. What is not measured cannot be improved. As the effectiveness of recruitment process is not measures, no efforts are spend to improve the same. As organizations measure employee productivity, they are aware of the time measure spend by employees on recruitment. Hence they focus efforts to optimize the time spend on hiring talent.
It is quite natural for start-ups to focus on the value proposition for the company from increasing productivity and companies pay for them. Why should they bother on the value proposition to candidates which their buyer does not bother much as part of recruitment process? Hence the start-ups position value to candidate as “Get more offers! Better salaries! No charge !”.
In recruitment, once the transaction is complete, there is scope of more human interaction than with e-retailer and hence comes recruiter. Exploring new opportunities, I have been happy with few recruiters support similar to being happy with few e-retailer support. There have been several disappointments with recruitment process. Wish a start-ups comes to address the needs of the candidate for better experience & impress the candidate to join for less salaries. Here are some challenges observed.
- When the candidate view this job position, he sees that job was posted 6 months ago. In these cases, there is no information whether job opening is valid or not. Should there not be a hiring deadline or validity date for the job posting? Today website like naukri.com shows the date of job posting only. The candidate question ” Are you really hiring now?“
- Some job offering emails asks candidates to respond with current and expected salary packages with the resume. The email fails to have company name. The candidate question “Why email without company name?“
- If recruiters want to be more productive, they should provide a salary range. The candidates looks at salary range & decide to apply or not based on their interest. The candidate question ” What is salary range for job position?“
- It’s ok for recruiter not to display salary range on all job sites. When candidate applies, the candidate can be provided salary range in email or when the recruiters talks to the candidate, he shared salary range early in the conversation. Both rarely happens. The recruiter is focused to get the candidate’s current salary and expected salary and when asked, few recruiters provide information(may be they do not have). Not sure what is point of hiding information from the candidate. The candidate question “ Why don’t you give me a minimum salary range even when you want to know my side though. “
- The recruiter does not share the time needed to be spend by the candidate in the hiring process. On short notice, The candidate is asked to sign up for long hours.Recruiters focus is more on time suitability for the interviewer than the candidate. The candidate question “Is my time not equally valuable?“
- Recruiters share little or no information on what is hiring process (may be they do not know). It is okay not to share name of the interviewer name. Knowing background of interviewer helps candidate to prepare his mind for the discussion. While recruiter expects candidate to confirm time, status change of the interviewer are not communicated. The candidate question ” Why are there surprises in hiring process? Plan.“
- The recruiter assume perfect working of the whole system. When phone call does not happen on time, the candidate is asked first why he is not on call? May the interviewer had not started call or there are genuine issues to start the call. Recruiters are not prepared for scenarios where the interviewer fails to come for phone call or face-to-face discussion at planned time. They are neither available ( may they have no time) to handle these situations where candidate needs help. The candidate question is “Are recruiters over loaded? They work with humans and need flexibility in their time also“.
- When recruiter leverages security to connect the candidate to interviewer and the interviewer is not present, the security guy has no clue of the next action. The security asks the candidate to call recruiter . As candidate, in addition to upset that my time is not respected, the experience is not fair either. “Can organization make recruiter as one point contact for coordination across recruitment process?“
- Once candidate completes hiring process, the candidate has no clue of the number of days to wait to know the outcome. On candidate kept waiting, the candidate loses patience and trust in hiring process. The candidate question “Do you want to take advantage over me in the hiring process? Stop wasting my time”..
- Love me or hate me, just tell me why. Recruiter possibly gets more than 100 applications for 1 job position and does not get time to really care about the 99 who are rejected. On company saying “YES”, the candidate might not ask why and thinks that he would eventually find when he meets hiring manager or team. On company saying “NO”, the candidate does not know why he was not shortlisted. The candidate question is “When can I apply again to company if interested. What should be done different to improve my chances? What was lacking in the job application? If I knew then at least I can improve my chances with other companies“..
The recruiter does not collect feedback from the candidate on the recruitment experience. Implementing a mechanism for the recruiters to collect feedback on process from candidate can help to streamline recruitment process. The recruiter needs to collect and report delays due to interviewer and other causes leading to poor feedback and also reasons for good feedback.
At end of email, I want to mention about hasjob website, more fair to candidate. The site is free for the candidates and the company to engage a process of purchase and sale from each other with potential for candidate to join employer. The candidate feels fair opportunity to evaluate other side with more information about company( though crisp and specific) is shared than most other websites.