After reading book “Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead” by Laszlo. I wanted to recommend book to others. May be availability of pirated copy of book indicated its real popularity.
Some of authors points connect with my own experiences in my startup job or running a startup.
- Choose to think of yourself as founder and act like one.
- Can you think of your work calling, with a mission that matters
- Given limited resources, invest your dollar in recruiting.
- if you believe people are fundamentally good and worthy of trust, you must be honest and transparent with them.
- Most people who are performing poorly know it and want to get better. It’s important to give them that chance.
- Find ways for people to shape their work and the company.Eliminate status symbols
- Split rewards conversations from development conversations.
- Help those in need; Put your best people under a microscope.
- Invest only in learning courses that you can prove changes people’s behavior.Have your best people teach
- Celebrate accomplishment, not compensation.Reward thoughtful failure.
- Find ways to say yes.The bad stuff in life happens rarely. Be there for your people when it does.
- Admit your mistake. Be transparent about it